Monday, June 21, 2010

Postcards from the Netherlands

Once upon a time, I was 9 years old and I went to the Netherlands.  My dad, step-mom, and paternal grandparents took me to see a man named Salvatore Romana (I'm sure there are tildes and accents my American keyboard is missing), called Salva. Salva had been my grandparents' foreign exchange student in the 70's, and he went to high school with my dad in little Platte City, Missouri.  Anywho, Salva then lived in Holland with his German wife (can't remember her name) and their 4-year-old daughter, Teresa.  We all went to visit them and it was very .... cultural.  My dad and his side of the family can be a bit much at times, but I got to see lots of interesting things and go interesting places.  I picked up lots of postcards, and mailed all of them but two to relatives in the U.S.  These are two that I kept for myself.

The back isn't very informative.  It says only "Marken Holland" and was taken by photographer Henk van der Leeden.  Purchased in the Netherlands in 1993, never mailed.


I remember I bought this one because I took about a zillion pictures just like it, but none of them turned out very good.  The reverse says: (c) Paul C. Pet "Zeilen in Friesland".  Purchased in the Netherlands in 1993, never mailed.

That translates to "buy this postcard or I will find you and stab you." Either that, or "Sailing in Friesland." 

Totally-non-related but awesome-anyways-side-note: Salva spoke 7 languages. Italian, English, Dutch, German, French were among them.  His wife spoke 3 languages: English, German, and Dutch.  Their 4-year-old spoke 2 languages: German and English.  Although, she was a brat and would never speak English to me.  I remember that she threw lots of fits and had this weird purple toothpaste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment