During one of my Goodwill sprees, I found this 8x10 of a sweet little bird. What's special about this piece is that the picture is painted, yes painted on the inside of the glass. The background is burlap (puke). It was only $2.99 So I thought I could give it a new home! Bonus: the frame was in really good shape.
First I turned it over to take off the back. Dun dun dunnnnnn. Staples from Hell. And obviously improvised (read: too thick) cardboard backing.
I pulled and yanked and yelled at the staples to no avail. I broke three fingernails. And not the fake kind; the kind attached to my fingers. That hurt.
I tried to pry them up with the edge of my scissors. The evil staples bent my scissors. Seriously. So I resorted to needle-nosed pliers.
Alas, it seemed I could not even bend them all up without breaking two of them off.
Finally, with one side missing staples entirely, and the rest of them loosened enough, I tried to pry out the cardboard. I have no idea how the person who did this got it in there, but DAMN. Cue fingernails four and five. Crack! I resorted to less usual measures.
Now I was sweating. All this for a thrifty Goodwill find? But I would not let it defeat me! (Cue superhero music)
It only budged an inch. This is a joke, right?
Weeeell, after 38 hours of yanking on the cardboard and swearing like a sailor, I finally got the back off. Look at the lovely little surprise that waited for me:
Squeee! Looks like the sun had bleached the burlap, thereby making a negative print from the painting. I had to frame this.
Isn't it divine? Sigh :). Ok. Back to the original project. I had originally intended to make this scrapbook paper the new background:
...but I really liked how it looked all clear with no back. So I bent down the horrible staples to hold in the glass.
I windex-ed the front, and carefully dabbed the back (as I didn't know what kind of paint it was). I tried hanging it in several locations, including in front of windows or mirrors, but I decided my bedroom was the perfect place.
I know you can see the staples and the hanging wire, but I was sweaty and tired, so don't judge me. I took the above picture with the flash so you could see all the pretty colors. But the best part was the shadows it cast on the wall behind it. Here I tried a photo with no flash to show you just how it looks.
Awesome. And here's the new home for my other little birdy - right by the front door.
All in all, it was a good thrifty find. Two awesome creations for $2.99. And a pair of broken scissors. And five broken fingernails. Oh well. All in the name of Crafting!